Tuesday, February 12, 2013

An Overview on my first day on internet training



I’m Mcharo Mrutu, a senior reporter at Channel Ten. This week, I’m attending five days Internet training for senior journalists for both print and electronic media houses in the country, organized by MISA-Tanzania.

Basically it is my expectations that the training will give me an in-depth knowledge on the effective use of internet in practicing journalism more professionally for cross-checking of facts, communication as well as dissemination of the news.

It is also my expectation that after this training I will be able to use internet to practice e-journalism for- instance through blogging, use of social media and so forth.

During my first day of this training, one of main things that we learned was on how the internet has changed the world; the way individuals and communities work, interact, offer and receive services ect. We also got an opportunity to discuss a little bit on the ongoing politics in Kenya particularly of its general election that is expected to be held on March, 2013.

The thing that I did not like or it was contrary to my expectation is that, we talked much on the usage of internet or how internet can be used to simplify of daily routines, but rather than discussing on relevant example about our country with comparison to the developed or advanced countries in technology, our discussion based on the online services offered in developed countries.

It is of my opinion that while moving on in this training, we should address on how we could use internet to improve our journalism practice under the country’s environment  which is surrounded by lots of challenges including low internet accessibility, little knowledge on computer to the majority of the population, bureaucratic administration ect. By doing so, it's my belief that at the end of this programme we gonna come-up with possible solutions on how we can use internet effectively under such challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment